1.24.2009

OH my- this turned into a rant!

OK, I did the MySpace thing and I am over it.
I had fun, met about 300 people I don't know, made them my friends, played Mafia and Poker with them, updated my status so they would know just what I was up to and deleted them all in a fit of who cares.
Maybe because I am 41 and not 14 I just can't get a glow on for chatting with a bunch of knuckleheads I dont really know. Oh, but I do want to keep my friends updated on my every move-- NOT. And I do not really want to keep up with their every move either- seriously. My close friends know my philosophy on hanging out. What makes a friend is not what keeps a friend. Distance and mystery is a Real Good Thing.
I can count on my one hand the number of useful relationships I have left behind that I actively think about. Some I miss and occasionally, when mired in melancholy, I Google a name or two. Most I know how to contact if I wanted too but for the most part, what we- as buds- had is lost in time and after a brief catching up it would be a big let down. People move on. Its a fact.
So why become cyber-social in the first place?
Novelty, for me. I am not networking and my husband would be annoyed if I were to start dating and I don't have a problem making friends face to face. But I had a lot of fun decorating my site, checking for messages and comments and finding just the right the add-ons to make my space all mine. It looked like Vegas.
So on my two hands I can count the number of friends I actually share my life with and they don't need me to update my status or send them a flashing red rose wrapped around a scantily clad cowgirl that reads Happy Humpday.

No comments:

Post a Comment